Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Baker's Grocery

We get our kids involved in the ministry plans because it will hold us accountable.  Remember that we have been trying to pray for the people we meet in the stores.  Can I tell you this is still a work in progress for me?  UGH!  There are just times I pretend to forget, all the while knowing that I should ask.  And, it hasn't totally disappointed me that I've been cooped up in the house for almost three weeks so I haven't been to any stores.  My girls will eventually remember our prayer plan and I'll have some lame excuse; "Oh, we should have asked before we walked away!" or "Don't interrupt Mom while I am talking to the clerk."  Fully knowing they are trying to remind me to ask them about prayer. 

But thank you Lord for your grace and for Pastor Theimer's comment a long while back.  Baby steps!  If we keep doing something that is uncomfortable now, it will eventually become comfortable.  We might even forget that at one point we struggled with the idea. 

So, while giving my lame excuse at McDonald's, where we enjoyed a cone, I prayed for boldness as we turned up the street to Baker's grocery.  I determined I was going to ask and I all but blurted it out!

Me: "We pray for those we meet in the store, is there anything you want us to pray about?" 
Clerk: "Yes!  My boyfriend was just sent to prison on Monday."
Me: "How are you doing with that?"
Clerk: "I tear up a lot!"
Me: "It just so happens that my pastor was in prison."
Clerk: "Really?  Where is your church?"
Me: "30th & Lake"
Clerk: "I live right near there!"
Me: "You should come!"
Clerk: "What time is the service?"
Me: "10:00 a.m.!"
Clerk: "Thank you SO much!"

So by now we are more than done and bag gathered we say we'll pray.  Ecstatically we bop to the car and share the interaction with the family.  We all pray and then write her a note that Jon and two of the girls carry back to her. 

Bridge Church
30th & Lake
10:00 a.m.
Pastor Myron Pierce
(200 year prison sentence)
Pastor Josh Dotzler
Please come!
Jenn (and I include phone number)


Take a moment and pray that she will come. 
I know God will meet her there and begin to heal her heart. 

 Our God is so very faithful!

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Thanks for sharing your stories and your faithfulness. They are an encouragement to me. Will pray that this young lady comes to church!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we are visiting your area this week. can we worship at church with you? email me! love, the hallorans

    ReplyDelete