Sunday, March 8, 2009

Cultural Differences

It has been fun to see and experience some of the cultural differences. For instance, the nicer the hotel, the firmer the beds. I rarely have a hard time sleeping but at our last hotel WOW were those beds FIRM! Even the pillows were quite solid with a beanbag type filling.

Then there is the obvious water issue that is a concern. However, the hotels come equipped to make it easy to boil water. THIS has been a hard thing for me to remember and twice now I've caught myself rinsing my toothbrush in the sink. We now leave a rag over the faucet to help me remember.

The public restrooms have been another fun experience and we've had many a laugh about this endeavor. How can one not laugh when you are arguing, through the stalls, over which way to face? Then finding out that at each new facility finding the toilet paper is like playing "Where's Waldo?" or realizing too late that it was a BYOTP facility. Yet another lesson has been to be a bit more aggressive. Today in fact, I was waiting my turn, clearly waiting right on the bold yellow line that says "Wait your turn here." (in both Chinese and English) and two women walked right in front of me and stood waiting for the next door to open. This has happened a few times already so I was ready to earn my spot back (not to mention my flight was beginning to board) so I began to feel the competitive edge rise up in me while I literally got on the balls of my feet and the moment the handle started to jiggle I bolted. Ahh, the victory of being first to the squatty potty!

Finally, the Chinese use split pants for those not potty-trained. As you can see in this picture the child is wearing a diaper however, this is not generally the case. In fact, at the Forbidden City we saw a precious little girl bundled in numerous layers, sleeping on her mom's arm and her bare little cheeks stuck out instead. We've been told this is done first b/c their little ones are bundled in so many layers and secondly in ease of potty training. While sight-seeing we saw numerous children learning the skill right there on the side of the road. Kudos goes out to the Chinese because for the most part their children are trained at a very early age.

No comments:

Post a Comment