Sunday, May 27, 2012

His Words...

We waited in the slowest line of the day.  Ever so slowly we weaved our way through the snaked path towards the immigration booth.  On an elevated platform, behind a raised counter sat the gentleman whose words echo in my ears.  Words that confirm and overwhelm you with their truth. 

We proceeded like the other times before.  We did this in China and once coming into India and now we are leaving for home.  The passports and boarding passes are handed over soberly, without words, without smiles, another check point.  He calls a name; "Ava" and we hold her up, feet dangling she smiles and his eyes change.  "Meg" again smiles and his mouth begins to move.  "Livi" she giggles and smiles and he smiles too, "Ella", she can see without us holding her and she smiles at him confidently, "Punya" no smile but we do.  All five are done and he looks at us.

"Why are you doing this?" 

That pause was in my throat, we aren't quite home, will this matter for her?  Then the words, "our faith" I hear myself say and then my wonderful husband finishes, "because Jesus loved us and we will love others." 

We smile and wonder what he thinks... and then his words...

"Well, if more people believed the way you do, there wouldn't be any orphans in the world." 

I'm not sure what part of that sentence makes me ponder more; the cause or the effect.  I hope it makes you ponder too.  As Christians our lives should not look like the world's ways. 

2 comments: